Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What is this?



What do you think this is? Why it's a 2x2 rib knit sideways! I really don't know why it's sideways, but it's part of my winter hat, which is unfortunately useless in the warm weather we have been experiencing in the last week.  I knitted this a couple of weeks ago using non-worsted yarn (I don't know if there's a term for that). This is less complex compared to the cable knit hats I made for my mom and sister, but it's so comfortable and simple.




I had two problems with this knit. The fact that it wasn't worsted made it a pain if I had to reverse my knitting when I made my mistake. When I did the gathering cast off, pulling the yarn through the loops was a delicate process. Pull too hard, or have the working yarn touch the loop edges too much made the yarn break because of too much tension.

I also prefer super bulky for hats just because my knit stitches are close together and form a v shape. With bulky there is a little space in between. I know if I really wanted a v shadow I would used the twisted stockinette (e-wrap) stitch but it is so messy looking.

A majority of people have rib knit stitch hats in the wintertime, and most of the time they are made with acrylic yarn. It's a great simple pattern to knit and gives some stretch. It also doesn't take that long but you have to be used too knitting peg by peg.

No comments:

Post a Comment